[poppler] Fwd: [gdal-dev] turn off Orthoimage layer for USGS topos

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Mon Oct 27 12:48:50 PDT 2014

There are actually two different “GeoPDF” specifications – one that was proposed by Adobe and has been accepted by the ISO committee for inclusion in the forthcoming 2.0 version of PDF (aka ISO 32000-2) and the one from TerraGo.   You can read about the approved version from the Adobe Extensions to ISO 32000-1 document on our web site(<http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/adobe_supplement_iso32000.pdf>).  There are NO problems with reading and/or implementing this document by open source developers, as all patents have been addressed under ISO rules (as with the rest of PDF).   As for the TerraGo version, I believe they have a spec posted on their site - I CANNOT speak to any legal issues concerning it.

Google is your friend when it comes to finding samples – a quick search yielded this page (<http://www.agc.army.mil/Missions/Terrain/GeoPDFMaps/GeoPDFGallery.aspx>) among many others.   And yes, as it is just a PDF, and there are no restrictions on looking at a PDFs internals – have fun :).

Leonard
Leonard Rosenthol  |  PDF Architect · Principal Scientist  |  Adobe Systems Incorporated  |  p. 408.657.PDFS  |  c. 215.808.4978  |  leonardr at adobe.com<mailto:leonardr at adobe.com>