[poppler] Rethinking poppler releases

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Thu Sep 25 12:30:54 PDT 2014

Am Mittwoch, 24. September 2014, 00:51:06 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> Hi all, we released 0.26.0 five months ago. And we have no schedule for
> 0.28.0 (or i can't find no email discussing it).
>
> This is something that has been happening repeateadly, we "forget" when the
> next feature release or we need to delay it because we only release it
> every so often and we *really* need a feature in.
>
> I'd like to propose a change from having bugfix releases every month and
> feature releases every ~6 months to just having a release every month.
>
> In that release we would introduce both bugfixes and features.

Hey Albert,

first of all thanks a lot for your work, it's been a real pleasure packaging
poppler. Especially also since soname / ABI / API changes have recently become
much more rare.

To be honest I do not care too much when exactly you do the releases.

However, stable / bug fix / security fix branches (in the sense that ABI and
library sonames remain constant) are cool and useful. If you change ABI
regularly and do not differentiate between patch and feature upgrades, you do
the same as attempted in KF5, namely shifting the maintenance of crash /
security / bugfix backports to the distributions.

So yes, distros won't like the change.

Gentoo has actually the smallest problem since we can just tell people "update
and rebuild reverse dependencies". Our package manager is set up to
automatically rebuild everything linking to libpoppler.so when a version with
new soname is installed (and only afterwards removes the old library).

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)