[poppler] Syntax Error: Unknown character collection 'DYNA-HK1'

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Sun Dec 6 19:00:51 PST 2015

Hi,

As soon as this bug is filed in bugzilla, I will go to there,
but please let me post something before it...

In the PDF, I found such resource declaration:

76 0 obj
<< /Type /Font /Subtype /CIDFontType0 /BaseFont /VCGDKL+PingFangSC-Semibold
/CIDSystemInfo << /Registry (DYNA) /Ordering (HK1) /Supplement 0 >> /W 77 0 R
/DW 1000 /FontDescriptor 78 0 R >>
endobj

an embedded font "PingFangSC-Semibold" requires CMap
named "DYNA-HK1". Nothing to say, it is non-standard
CMap which the PDF producers are expected to embed
in PDF (and I could not find it in the PDF).

I'm interested in how the sample PDF was generated.
According to the metadata,

87 0 obj
(Mac OS X 10.11.1 Quartz PDFContext)
endobj
88 0 obj
(Keynote)
endobj
89 0 obj
(D:20151205141530Z00'00')
endobj
1 0 obj
<< /Title 86 0 R /Producer 87 0 R /Creator 88 0 R /CreationDate 89 0 R /ModDate
89 0 R >>
endobj

It seems that the application is "Keynote" and generated
via builtin PDF generator of Mac OS X. I think such
fundamental error (missing CMap with non-standard name)
is caused by poor handmade implementation, but it does not
look like so (if the metadata was not forged). Such error
could be caused by the font itself?

Regards,
mpsuzuki