[poppler] Question on policy w.r.t. code modernization

Adam Reichold adam.reichold at t-online.de
Fri Dec 25 05:38:12 PST 2015

Hello,

remembering how I tried to push some minor optimizations to GooString
some time ago, I wanted to ask about the project's policy on how to
handle code modernizations in the future.

To me, it seems like stuff that is pervasive like GooList or GooString
is unlikely to be changed with the currently available man power due to
the risk of regressions. One way of resolving this is IMHO to try to
remove the code completely and replace it with externally maintained and
highly optimized components, e.g. using std::vector and std::string from
the standard library instead of GooList and GooString. But this will
probably make it rather hard to merge xpdf changes in the future. Then
again, this seems to be hardly happening as is.

So I guess that basically, my question is on the opinions of the
maintainers to detach the Poppler code base from the xpdf code base as a
prerequisite to thoroughly modernizing it. Related to this is the
question on whether raising the language standard to C++11 or C++14 is
considered possible.

Best regards, Adam.