[poppler] Heap corruption caused by wrong JPXStream import

Adam Reichold adam.reichold at t-online.de
Sat Jul 4 08:23:36 PDT 2015

Hello,

> I'm afraid digging out documents that cause it is not a simple
> proposition for me right now. But from my understanding of the code
> - from the build I had - if one hits that `new JPXStream`, then it was
> guaranteed to crash. Are you certain in your testing that this line**
> is being hit (e.g, with "printf"?). The build I had definitely could
> not have executed that line correctly. Maybe I had an incorrect
> build due to a strange environment, though I thought I had hit the
> problem with the standard build shipped with Ubuntu.
>
> ** https://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/tree/poppler/Stream.cc?id=poppler-0.33.0#n355

Even though I always crash at [1] instead of the above, I could now
reproduce this issue and can confirm that Peter's patch fixes this for
me. An example of a document that triggers the issue for me is [2]. I
also run Linux and use the CMake build system. Only openjpeg 1.5.2 is
installed on my system.

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/tree/poppler/JPXStream.cc?id=poppler-0.33.0#n489

[2] http://restfulwebapis.org/RESTful_Web_Services.pdf