[poppler] Working with Asian languages

Rob Hawkins stillastudent at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 18:06:28 PDT 2015

Greetings all,

Can pdftohtml produce output for Burmese, Khmer, Indonesian, Thai and
Vietnamese?  I didn't see a language pack for any except Thai, and that one
doesn't produce properly formatted characters for my source files.  They're
missing the vowel marks.  The other languages fail completely on my setup.
I've tried on OS X and Ubuntu 12.

My source files are here:
https://github.com/robhawkins/drive-taiwan/tree/master/input/pdf

Chinese seems to work fine.

I found out that PDF.js will produce good output, though I already have
code based on pdftohtml output and would rather not switch if not
necessary.  I wonder if there is something wrong with my setup.

Thanks for any help even if it's just a "nope, that's not possible" kind of
reply =)

Rob