[poppler] Anyone seeing poppler performance issues w/ fontconfig 2.12.1?

Ed Porras ed at motologic.com
Wed Aug 24 15:12:18 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check if anyone is noticing performance issues with poppler-based applications after upgrading to fontconfig 2.12.1. I’m seeing a significant hit with programs like diff-pdf when running it with the new version vs. the previously installed one:

doppio:fontconfig_test admin$ time diff-pdf to_service4.pdf to_service4.pdf

real    0m23.053s
user    0m19.796s
sys     0m1.581s

doppio:fontconfig_test admin$ brew switch fontconfig 2.11.1
Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/fontconfig/2.11.1
Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/fontconfig/2.12.1
215 links created for /usr/local/Cellar/fontconfig/2.11.1

doppio:fontconfig_test admin$ time diff-pdf to_service4.pdf to_service4.pdf

real    0m0.218s
user    0m0.106s
sys     0m0.064s

Also seeing it w/ pdffonts and pdftocairo. The PDF file is a single page 14kb file with five fonts (apologies for the different formatting):

ep at doppio ~/Desktop $ time  pdffonts edsel_runs/to_service4.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
DDFLBM+PSOwstdutchb                  Type 1C           Custom           yes yes no       8  0
DDFLCO+PSOsymclas                    Type 1C           Custom           yes yes no      12  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            Custom           no  no  no       9  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            Custom           no  no  no      10  0
Symbol                               Type 1            Custom           no  no  no      13  0

real	0m20.337s
user	0m19.867s
sys	0m0.414s

I’ve used this file in my test suite for years and it’s always processed in less than a second plus it’s also happening with all other PDFs I have.

(On the other hand, pdftotext and pdftops process it quickly but I presume it’s because they’re not using FreeType to open the embedded fonts or not looking at the fonts at all).

I’m not finding reports of other people having the same problem but, perhaps it’s just something too fresh since home-brew just pushed the updated fontconfig. I don’t mind keeping fontconfig at 2.11.1 but I’d like to file an issue if this is happening to others and also try and track the cause. So far, I’ve tried:

* reinstalled a fresh home-brew to ensure there were no update problems.
* several combinations of clearing & regenerating the font cache (system and user caches) and edits to config files in fontconfig/conf.d/*.
* #if 0’d all freetype calls from my own source and removed freetype library from my makefile's linked lib list.

I’m going to see if I can reproduce the same on a linux box but I might need to build a VM one I can test upgrading fontconfig manually on if there are no updated deb packages made available. I’m also en-route to Berlin for the rest of the week so I might not get to this until next week depending on work.

Could someone confirm if anyone has noticed the same problem? Or if anyone has some insight as to what might be causing this, could you give some suggestions as to where I should look?

Thank you,

—
Ed Porras
Motologic / AAP