[poppler] Commercial Licensing of Poppler

Jason Crain jason at aquaticape.us
Mon Feb 22 16:44:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:29:00PM +0530, Hari Pravin wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> We are considering Poppler Utils "pdftocairo" and "pdftoppm" to be used as
> part of a SAAS solution that is under development. As the licensing of our
> solution is not compatible with GPL, I am not sure if Poppler can be used
> along with it without acquiring a commercial license. If there is a need
> for a commercial license what is the cost of it and whom should I contact
> on this regard.
>
> Looking forward for someone who can guide me on this regard. Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Hari Pravin

You can't get a commercial license of poppler.  The copyright is owned by
dozens of people and you would need to contact each of them individually to
work out an agreement.  Poppler is a fork of xpdf though, and you might be able
to get a license for xpdf.  I think you can contact them at
www.glyphandcog.com.  You would of course lose any modifications or
improvements that have been made in poppler.