[poppler] Postscript native image resolution

Pierre-Luc Samuel Pierre-Luc.Samuel at ticketmaster.com
Tue Jul 5 12:52:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've been wondering if there is a feature for pdftops that would convert
pdf to postscript by keeping the original resolution of images embedded
in the pdf?  The problem I'm encountering is that my pdfs contain low
res images that are stretched to be big; pdftops converts them by
re-rasterizing the low res images so that they look smooth.

The result is that my images now look extremely smooth, but the
resulting postscript file size explodes.  The issue I have with "-r
<dpi>" is that the native resolution of my images is about 150 dpi, but
when using "-r 150", I get reasonable file sizes, but the text sections
of the pdf becomes barely readable....  I would like to suggest a
"-nativeimageres" option that would be independent of the existing "-r
<dpi>" option.

Do you guys think a "-nativeimageres" option is technically possible?
Could you give me indications where to start, in case I need to look
deeper into this?

Thanks,
Pierre-Luc