[poppler] Compatibility between poppler's pdfunite and JHOVE.

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Apr 8 10:15:38 UTC 2017

El divendres, 7 d’abril de 2017, a les 15:44:59 CEST, Russell McOrmond va
escriure:
> Replying to
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/2017-April/012147.html , On
> Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Leonard Rosenthol
>
> <lrosenth at adobe.com> wrote:
> > Can I assume that you are aware that JHOVE is NOT a PDF validator in any
> > way?  In addition, it’s support for modern PDF feature is quite out of
> > date!  And their own site
> > (<http://jhove.openpreservation.org/modules/pdf/>) says as much.  I
> > suspect that if you ran these files through a more thorough PDF
> > validation, such as the one in Adobe Acrobat Pro, it would not report any
> > problems.
> >
> > Leonard
>
>   Canadiana runs a preservation platform. We want to identify and
> disallow files that aren't encoded in the publicly documented format
> or that use features that aren't appropriate for long-term
> preservation (PDF/A).  What we need is a tool to take multiple PDF/A
> files and join them together, with the result also being a PDF/A file.
> This is something I presumed pdfunite could do, but that might not be
> the case.
>
>   If it turns out that poppler is using features that are
> inappropriate for preservation then this would mean we need to
> discontinue our use of poppler.

I don't understand your e-mail, does anywhere pdfunite does what you want it
to do? As far as I can see, no.

If you want pdfunite to do something it does not do, you can either open a bug
in the bug tracker being *very specific* about what you think should be added/
changed/fixed or you can send a patch.