[poppler] Compatibility between poppler's pdfunite and JHOVE.

Russell McOrmond Russell.McOrmond at canadiana.ca
Sat Apr 8 11:56:23 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:15 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> I don't understand your e-mail, does anywhere pdfunite say it does what
> you want it to do? As far as I can see, no.

  I saw a set of programs that didn't behave well with each other.  I'm not
an expert on the PDF file format, so thought I'd ask some people who might
know.

  Leonard Rosenthol gave me the answer I needed, which was that I shouldn't
be expecting tools written to generically work with "PDF" to return files
which follow the PDF/A restrictions.

  In the shorter term we will be switching back to using pdftk (which
creates files JHOVE approves of when the resulting PDF file size is small
enough), but longer term stop joining source PDF files before preserving at
all.

If you want pdfunite to do something it does not do, you can either open a
> bug
> in the bug tracker being *very specific* about what you think should be
> added/
> changed/fixed or you can send a patch.

  I don't have sufficient knowledge of PDF or PDF/A restrictions to do
either.   All I have is a set of tools (popplar, pdftk, JHOVE, verapdf)
that generate files and reports about those files.

Cheers,

--
System Administration and software developer,
Canadiana.org   http://www.canadiana.ca