[poppler] Situation towards 3DPDF support

Hiroka IHARA ihara_h at live.jp
Tue Apr 11 00:36:58 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am a newbie who was working on 3DPDF support back in September.
In case you still remember, I am sorry that I could not spend time on development recently.

After I submitted the last patch #97868 (I asked for review but you can ignore this one because it is obsoleted now), I noticed that the story was a bit more complicated than I had thought.

There are two issues that I need to address related to poppler (and a few more on PDF viewer frontends).

One is the licensing matter.
I found out that the official documentation of Universal 3D Format is slightly outdated, and the Universal 3D Sample Software by Intel seems to be somehow acting as the de facto reference.

Therefore I had to adapt some part (currently a few dozens of lines) of Sample Software, which comes in Apache License, into mine, in GPL.
I took care so that the actual code does not resemble, but the basic algorithm is the same.

Is it allowed to include code adapted from something APL into something GPL?

The other is just a question I wanted to ask.
3DPDF data is relatively large (up to 10MiB), so I tried to learn from existing implementation of Movie, Sound and such media streams.

What I was curious about is why they extract all the data from Stream into tempfiles at first, and read them again in PDF viewer(s) (though I do not know about anything other than evince).

Is it just because some frontend media players are happy that way, or because there are performance or some other issues?

My library will be happy if there is some public GObject to read from Stream byte by byte without dumping.

Lastly, I understand all this stuff is going to take your time, I will stop bothering you if you think it is going to be too costly.

Regards,
Hiroka