[poppler] evince does not show chinese bold or italic

Thomas Johnsson thomas at skri.net
Thu Apr 20 15:28:08 UTC 2017

Now that Adobe has retracted support for Adobe Reader for Linux, we
use Evince as the default pdf viewer.
But we have an issue with evince for chinese text with bold, italic or both.
The font(s) used are "STSong-Light", "STSong-Light,Bold"  ,
"STSong-Light,Italic" , and "STSong-Light,BoldItalic" .

Attached screenshots show an example line with each of the fonts above,
displayed by (Adobe Acrobat Reader) acroread, and evince.
As can be seen, evince shows no difference between the lines of chinese
text.
I also attach the pdf file.
Latest tested evince version: 3.14.2 (RHEL7).

I suspect (but I'm not sure) that acroread synthesizes bold and italic
from the regular font, and that evince fails to do so.
Or could it be that additional fonts need to be installed?
Or might this have been fixed in a later version of evince?

Kind regards,
Thomas Johnsson