[poppler] RFC: Dropping autotools
Albert Astals Cid
aacid at kde.org
Thu Aug 17 22:13:44 UTC 2017
Ok, this is going to be controversial (or maybe not).
I'd like to drop autotools and just use cmake as build system.
* I don't use autotools so whenever something new happens i regularly forget
to try it works there (as proven last time with the nss includes)
* cmake is more portable (i.e. doesn't uses shell scripts)
* cmake gets releases more often
* cmake code is easier to read (for me)
* AFAICS Not even gnome (which was the "last" big autotools user) plans to
use autotools anymore
* We don't have gtk-doc support
* We don't have make dist-xz support (which i use for releases)
But i'm sure both should be fairly easy to add, just never cared to do it
since the only times i use them are for releases.
More information about the poppler