[poppler] question / possible bounty - XFA support

Nikola Ciprich nikola.ciprich at linuxbox.cz
Tue Aug 29 07:24:32 UTC 2017

Hello Leonard,

thanks for you reply..

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 03:42:34PM +0000, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> For a PDF 1.x, as defined by ISO 32000-1, XFA is as much as part of the standard as JPEG and TrueType.
>
> XFA, even though it is a publicly documented specification from Adobe, is just that – publicly documented!   You can find all the specs on our web site.  XFA support has been implemented by at least a half-dozen PDF vendors, so if someone wants to do it for poppler – it can be done!

hmm, didn't know docs were publically available..

I've found this:
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/livecycle/pdfs/Adobe_XML_Form_Object_Model_Reference.pdf

seems to be long reading, 412 pages :) I'll have a look at it, thanks.
are you aware of some other docs, or is this the best source?

> Using AcroRead on Unix won’t necessarily help you either, as that version of Adobe Reader is quite dated and doesn't support the current XFA specification (which is most likely what the SAP tool is generating).  You should test that option out before you go down that path, as it might not work out anyway.

for now, it seems to work, of course it's possible that after some SAP upgrade,
it'll just stop working, which is just another reason why I would'n like to stick
to such workaround.. :(

BR

nik

--