[poppler] How to install poppler utils

Jason Crain jason at inspiresomeone.us
Tue Dec 5 16:04:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 04:27:50PM +0100, Michael Schöller wrote:
> I am trying to install the poppler utils, however I do not really understand where to begin.

Generally people install it though their distro if using Linux or BSD.
Through msys2 or cygwin for people using Windows. Through Homebrew or
MacPorts for Mac. You can also compile from source, which is the .tar.xz
file.

> Will the installation take place on my local computer or on the server?

It will be installed on whichever computer you run the installer on, I
assume. That's out of scope of the poppler project since we don't
provide an end-user installer, we just provide the source code.

> How do I use the utils once installed?

They are command line tools so you run a terminal and type the command.