[poppler] Multi-threading rendering on Raspberry Pi

Thomas Freitag thomas.freitag.bbr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:48:52 UTC 2017

I can't really get the point:

All threads, in your case two, have to share the PDFDoc, Catalog,
XRef-table and inputstream, so yes, of course there are a lot of mutex
locks, especially when a lot of objects are shared between the pages.
When I developped the multi threading feature it I got a lot of problems
until I had all locks at the right place, because missing locks caused
garbage rendering and  program crashes.
The problem here is that neither poppler nor the underlying xpdf was
designed to use threads at all, so the thread implementation could never
be such optimal as it would be desirable.

So I guess that in your case a lot of time is needed in parsing the PDF
objects and not so much in rendering them.

Cheers,
Thomas