[poppler] Scaling factor and placement accuracy

pqt at LEFerguson.com pqt at LEFerguson.com
Thu Mar 23 14:58:24 UTC 2017

I am attaching an example.

I tried to get it to just one note without success, it appears to matter where these appear on the page horizontally not just vertically, so I just experimented with a very few notes until I got a size that worked.  The issue is in the third measure on the bottom staff and the second note.  That note should be bisected by the line, instead it is significantly too high, ambiguous with being between lines (i.e. it is an F, it looks like a G if you read music).

The JPG shows how I see it.  Viewed in Adobe it is correct.

The relevant code that produces it is this:

Poppler::Page* tmpPage = ((PDFDocument*)ourParent)->document->page(mPage - 1);
QSizeF thisPageSize = tmpPage->pageSizeF();  // in 72's of inch
double scaleX = (double)mWidth / ((double)thisPageSize.width() / (double)72.0);
double scaleY = (double)mHeight / ((double)thisPageSize.height() / (double)72.0);
double desiredScale = std::min(scaleX, scaleY);
ourParent->document->setRenderHint(Poppler::Document::Antialiasing);
ourParent->document->setRenderHint(Poppler::Document::TextAntialiasing);
ourParent->document->setRenderHint(Poppler::Document::ThinLineSolid);
QImage* theImage = new QImage(tmpPage->renderToImage(desiredScale,desiredScale));

The variables are:

mPage = 1
thisPageSize = (612,792)
mWidth=1200
mHeight=1857
desiredScale = 141.176   (as printed if I add qDebug()).

The extraneous "double" casts were just making sure I was keeping double precision, as the printed value of 141.176 (when I write to qDebug()) on the scale looks a bit odd, as the math works out to 141.1764706...

I did a lot of photoshop exploring and I am pretty sure this is a matter of a single pixel.  That was a surprise, that you can even see that (this is normally on a 1920x1080 screen).  So this may actually just be a rounding issue (if "issue" is not too strong of a word).

I'll dig a bit in the code, but am handicapped by not knowing a thing about the actual PDF structure, so the code is a bit mysterious in terms of where the object placement may be, at least at present.  But I'll give it a shot, meanwhile will truncate to an integral scale factor and see if I see the issue as we use the software.

Again, I realize it's a pretty picky detail, especially as I am seeing it may be literally one pixel difference, so thanks in advance to anyone willing to follow all this and make suggestions.

Linwood Ferguson