[poppler] Adobe Acrobat Printing Levels

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat May 27 19:40:29 UTC 2017

Dear list,

I have a document (http://pdf.ousia.tk/link-annotation.pdf) which
contains an link annotation such as:

    12 0 obj
    <<
      /Type /Annot
      /A 7 0 R
      /Border [ 0 0 .5 ]
      /C [ .6 .6 .6 ]
      /F 4
      /Subtype /Link
      /Rect [ 70.867 339.972 496.06 354.4 ]

    endobj

The annotation flag is set to Print (/F 4). evince-3.22.1 (using
poppler-0.45.0) doesn’t print it.

Acrobat doesn’t print it, but I think this is by a different reason.

Besides the issue (which I would report later), I would like to
understand why Acrobat doesn’t follow PDF32000_2008.pdf.

Acrobat sets four printing levels (copied from the link in the document
quoted above):

  - Document contents.

  - Document contents and markings.

  - Document contents and stampings.

  - Form fields only. (This one is irrelevant here.)

As far as I can remember (but I might be wrong) Acrobat didn’t print any
annotation by default. Annotation printing had to be explicitly enabled.

Is that right or what am I missing?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--