[poppler] How to set custom 'share' directory

Jason Crain jason at inspiresomeone.us
Wed Nov 1 14:20:45 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 02:19:36PM +0100, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> I maintain the poppler bindings for R which work on Windows, MacOS and
> Linux. However Chineese users on Windows/Mac have reported that
> poppler doesn't find the share data files:
>
>   error: Missing language pack for 'Adobe-CNS1' mapping
>
> Where exactly does poppler look for the 'share' directory? Is there an
> environment variable or libpoppler API that I can use to specify this
> location?

The encoding files are in the poppler-data package, not the poppler
package.  Likely your users need to install poppler-data.

On Mac and Linux the path is hardcoded at compilation time.  It's
generally in /usr/share/poppler on Linux.  Not sure what the standard is
on Mac.  On Windows it looks in \share\poppler relative to the
installation directory.