[poppler] inline notes? (poppler and pdf-tools/Emacs)

Tobias Deiminger haxtibal at posteo.de
Mon Aug 20 13:25:25 UTC 2018

Am 20.08.2018 13:49 schrieb poppler at jpgeorget.net:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not a developper but I would like to know if poppler gives the
> ability to add inline notes in a PDF file.
>
> I use pdf-tools with emacs. It is based on poppler and it gives only
> the ability to add notes with an icon.
>
> The developper of pdf-tools could be glad to hear that poppler gives
> to add inline notes (without icons but as text boxes).
> See https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools/issues/149

Adding inline notes (they're actually called "FreeText Annotations") is
implemented in poppler core, and publicly exposed in Qt5 frontend. Sadly
it's currently not available in the glib frontend, so pdf-tools can't
use it their preferred way.

The guys at pdf-tools got it right already (cite from issue 149):
>> So that is something poppler-glib has to add on their side, correct?
> I think so, yes.

Cheers
Tobias