[poppler] Static build

Ranjan Ghosh ghosh at pw6.de
Wed Dec 5 16:12:53 UTC 2018

Hmm. I think it doesnt work that easily. Actually, I'm trying to build a
static pdf2svg which users poppler in turn. I tried to follow your
advice and installed libcairo-dev, libopenjp2-7-dev, libjpeg-dev, etc.
and then simply compiled poppler with -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF. When I
subsequently tried to compile pdf2svg as static with the static poppler
I get:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpoppler-glib.a(CairoFontEngine.cc.o):
undefined reference to symbol 'FT_Library_Version'
/usr/bin/ld: //usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6: error adding
symbols: DSO missing from command line

I think the reason is that I actually must compile every single
contributing library that is used by poppler as fully static beforehand
instead of just installing them with apt, right?