[poppler] Patch in progress - looking for annotation related unit test data

Tobias Deiminger haxtibal at posteo.de
Fri Feb 16 10:24:09 UTC 2018

Hi folks!

Do you have PDF document(s) around that contain various types of
annotations, for the sake of unit testing? (already checked
git://git.freedesktop.org/git/poppler/test, no hit)

I'm asking because I'm working on a poppler patch and wanted to add unit
tests before submitting it on bugzilla. The patch will add support for
rendering individual annotations (as requested in [1]). The first
version will have a QT5 API as

QImage Poppler::Annotation::renderToImage(double hDPI, double vDPI)

An obvious way to test this would be to render annotations from a test
document and compare the resulting QImages with golden bitmaps. Do you
think such a test will be maintainable? Rendering results might slightly
change with algorithm evolution in splash/arthur/cairo versions, so the
golden bitmap could need updates from time to time.

If I had to create test documents on my own, which authoring tools would
you use? There's
-Poppler of course, but it lacks some annotation related features like
saving appearance streams for self-created annotations into the PDF
-Adobe tools are often considered as reference, but I had to buy them
first
-maybe the pdfcomment TeX package? No idea how complete the standard is
implemented there...

Best
Tobias

[1]