[poppler] General doubts regarding annotations and its poppler support for GSoC project

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Sat Mar 17 05:29:45 UTC 2018

Hi Dileep,

I think I can answer most of your questions.

> 1. What does Okular use - the core poppler or poppler Qt5 interface library?

Okular uses the poppler Qt5 interface library exclusively.  That library in turn
calls core poppler, which does most of the real work.

> 2. There is partial FreeText (TypeWriter) annotation support in poppler but not in poppler-qt5. With this information, should Okular have FreeText annotation support too?

Most likely you will need to extend poppler-qt5 to make the FreeText support
of poppler core available to users of poppler-qt5 (such as Okular).

> 3. What is the role of source files in i) okular/generator/poppler and also in ii) okular/core directories? Hence how does Okular use poppler?

Remember that Okular shows all kinds of documents, not just pdf.
okular/core contains code that is independent of the file format,
whereas okular/generator/poppler contains the pdf-specific part.

> 4.  How is an annotation implemented in poppler?

Somebody else will have to answer this question.

> Does poppler provide any backend or UI for the annotation?

There are no UIs at all in poppler.

> 5. If annotations are implemented in poppler and Okular uses it, so why does Okular also contain "annotation" named source files in okular/core, okular/generator/poppler and okular/ui directories?

Please somebody else answer this.

Regards,
Oliver