[poppler] poppler::ustring encoding issue

Adam Reichold adam.reichold at t-online.de
Sun Mar 18 14:46:42 UTC 2018

Hello mpsuzuki,

Am 18.03.2018 um 13:18 schrieb suzuki toshiya:
> Dear Albert,
>
> please let me confirm your thought.
>
>>> Maybe the consideration of GlobalParams::textEncoding
>>> would be discussed in future when cpp frontend introduces an API
>>> to modify it to non-Unicode values.
>>
>> Honestly i don't think that makes any sense, why would you want that?
>
> do you mean that "for cpp frontend, no need to care the cases that
> non-Unicode encoding is specified in GlobalParams::textEncoding" ?
>
> if so, its reason would be "because text(), text_list(), etc return
> the texts by ustring objects, thus, even if the clients can set
> GlobalParams::textEncoding to preferred non-Unicode encoding, they
> cannot retrieve the text in the preferred non-Unicode encoding.
> therefore, no need to expose GlobalParams::setTextEncoding() via
> cpp frontend" ?
>
> if this is what you meant, I agree that no need to care the cases
> that non-Unicode encoding in GlobalParams::textEncoding.
>
> The reason why I tried to care such cases was: some utils (like
> pdftotext) allow users to specify non-Unicode encoding, so I was
> wondering whether something similar would be added to cpp frontend
> in future. If there's no such, it's good news for me.
>
> Sorry for lengthy confirmation!

I think you might be confusing two distinct interfaces:

* The CPP frontend and the actual user application: There should be no
mentioning of GlobalParams here, since this is an internal
implementation detail (the we want to get rid of if at all possible) and
the the user application should not know or care about it. So we
definitely should not expose GlobalParams directly or
GlobalParams::setTextEncoding indirectly.

* The internal Poppler API and the CPP frontend: The CPP frontend
currently assumes that GlobalParams::textEncoding is "UTF-8" which is
almost alright as it does not expose GlobalParams, and hence the user
application cannot change it and relying on the default value is fine.
This should only break if the default value changes (and hence the CPP
frontend needs to be adjusted) or the user applications circumvents the
CPP frontend by using the internal API directly (but this seems its own
fault IMHO).

Of course, ideally we would not have GlobalParams and the CPP frontend
would pass in the desired encoding everywhere text is extracted using
the Poppler API. It could then also just request UTF-16 encoding for its
ustring representation instead of always converting UTF-8 to UTF-16
before passing it to the user application.

Best regards, Adam.