[poppler] poppler::ustring encoding issue

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 27 02:12:23 UTC 2018

Dear Albert,

Thank you for response. From now, I would post proposed patch
as attachment - if too big, I would file to bugzilla. Here I
attach pt1 and pt2 as separated attachments.

>> In fact, I'm unfamiliar with how the cpp-frontend users think
>> about a BOM in ustring object. If there are so many existing
>> implementations assuming as if ustring always starts with a BOM
>> (and they have their own routines for the concatenation, splicing
>> and replacing), we should care for that. Please let me hear how
>> the users think.
>
> I guess this is not very important, I mean after all it was broken so i guess
> noone could make it really work?

OK... I found a few comments from Unicode on BOM:
	http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#bom6
It seems that handing BOM during the string is not straight-
forward (just removing it can cause semantically difference),
so I suggest to use non-BOM approach (of current patch),
until some complains from the users/reviewers.

> what we need to do is document exactly how it behaves (since it seems to be a
> bit under documented now).

I see. where is the appropriate place to add a document of
poppler::ustring class itself?

Regards,
mpsuzuki

P.S.
Thanks to Jeroen too for the info how to check the commit quickly,
it is very helpful to make the attachments of this :-)