[poppler] PDF 2.0 Spec

Tobias Deiminger haxtibal at posteo.de
Thu Nov 29 14:46:00 UTC 2018

Am 28.11.2018 23:18 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>> a) "I won't do any poppler patches during the next 6 months
>> and won't need the copy during that time. You can give the
>> copy to someone else during these 6 months."
>
> Sorry for being annoying here, but what happens after those 6 months?
> can he contribute back without needing a "license"?

No problem, let's try to figure it out. IANAL, but as far as I
understand contributing to poppler is generally not related to owning a
copy of the PDF standard. The exception is citing - e.g. if you want to
copy paragraphs word by word into source code or issue comments, you
need a copy of the standard. Considering the 6 months example above, if
you want to contribute a bugfix after you gave the copy away, you just
do it. But if you need to cite the standard or need to learn something
new from it, you write KDE and say "can you please reassign a copy to
me". If you have different opinion or doubts, please explain a bit, then
I can ask DIN again.

> I mean i very seldom read the PDF spec since most of the times bugs i'm
> fixing are just that bugs, not missing spec features or misimplemented
> spec
> features that actually need me to read the spec.

My primary use case of the standard is learning, i.e. I often have
poppler source code on the left and the standard on the right, because
the code is closely written along the standard wrt. terminology, data
structures and algorithms. Imo it's good practice, new code should also
follow it. However using the standard for that purpose is just my
preferred method, one could use books or years of experience instead.

> You can do it. You're as much a KDE developer as I am :)

Ok, will CC you then. Any idea how much copies would be appropriate?

Cheers
Tobias