[poppler] Adding links to CI

Adam Reichold adam.reichold at t-online.de
Tue Apr 2 06:24:14 UTC 2019

Hello,

As much as I agree with not promoting non-free services, I guess it does
help anybody not to mention, especially since we are using them anyway.

Of course, it would be nice if we could also invest some effort into
replacing them, i.e gitlab-runner` [1] itself should have no issues
running on FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Windows. It just a question of setting
up a server somewhere, maybe using a virtual machine hypervisor for
isolation, and making it available for selected FDo projects that have
the need.

Actually, if we use virtual machines, then the host OS is pretty
irrelevant and we can just a Linux server that runs FreeBSD, Windows and
Mac OS X inside a VM. And AFAIK, Google Compute Engine (which FDo seems
to use for the shared runners here) does support nested KVM, so we could
use that. For the last two the question of licensing is probably the
problematic one as usual.

So since there are no fundamental technical issues and the main problems
is access to the infrastructure to set things up as well as figuring out
the licensing issues, I would like it if we could approach someone on
the FDo team for their feedback on using GitLab CI for FreeBSD, Windows
and Mac OS X before merging the MR mentioned below.

Best Regards,
Adm

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/install/