[poppler] PDF 2.0 Spec (answer from FSFE)

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Mon Mar 11 11:49:43 UTC 2019

> Imo every contributor, be it maintainer, bug fixer, GSoC student, whoever, should be able to access the standard

ISO standards, unfortunately, don't work that way.  Even with membership in something like the PDF Association, you wouldn't be able to do that.   You would have to limit it to a specific group of people that are a member of your organization.

> In the case of PDF association, would we join as individuals, or as "the poppler devs" (nice,  but probably not permitted :) ), or via an org?

That's up to you folks, but I would think that "as an org" would be best...of course, you'd have to have an actual formal "org" of some fashion or it would be individuals.

> Just a side node, national standardisation body membership can seemingly be cheaper than those 750€, see my initial email.

Very true.  Though each person would then need to join their own national bodies.  And not all national bodies are members of TC171.

> How about The Document Foundation? They seem interesting to me, because
>- they must have ISO experience in some way (ODF is ISO/IEC 26300-1:2015)

It's not just ISO membership, but specifically involvement in ISO TC171.  The Document Foundation is not involved with our TC.

Leonard