[poppler] What's your feeling in adding a _clang_format file to the repo

Tobias Deiminger haxtibal at posteo.de
Thu Jun 4 22:39:16 UTC 2020

Am 04.06.2020 22:53 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> This way we would have a common style in the files, which we kind of
> but not really have.
>
> Also, i'd suggest that common standard to not be the braindead mix of
> spaces + tabs that we inherited from xpdf and make it.
>
> Attached my suggestion.
>
> Problem is that it changes basically everything
>  278 files changed, 102844 insertions(+), 109789 deletions(-)
>
> So one would need to always use a --ignore-revs when doing git blame.

One could mitigate it a bit by automating --ignore-revs, like
$ git config blame.ignoreRevsFile .git-blame-ignore-revs
where .git-blame-ignore-revs is a maintained file in the repository.

> Opinions?

I had quite a lot of "should I use 2 or 4 spaces?"-like thoughts when
working with poppler. Such time could better be spent for real problems.
I'm almost indifferent when it comes to specific formatting choices,
just don't want to think about it while coding, rather type freestyle
and call clang-format afterwards.

And, a bulk change is IMO the best option in case of poppler. So yes,
I'd like it.

Tobias