[poppler] pfdtocairo altering bbox of embedded font

Ken Sands kensands at gov-u.co.uk
Mon May 18 14:31:05 UTC 2020

Hello all, I tried to run a pdf through pdftocairo in order to embed some non embedded fonts to ready a file for sending off to a printer.
The fonts embedded just fine, however of the fonts that were already embedded one (helvetica) was assigned a new negative bbox.

While that doesn't appear to cause any issues with appearance it does cause adobe reader to throw up a BLABLA_Helvetica contains a bad /BBox message box.

I checked the original file and the font in there has FontBBox[ -951 -481 1446 1122]

I checked the file after pdftocairo and it's /FontBBox [ 31049 -480 1445 1121 ]

I edited the resulting file to [ -951 -480 1445 1121 ] and the error is gone, to be sure I diff checked the output and all 3 are visually identical.

Looking at those numbers it seems to me there is a fairly simple int -> uint thing slipping through somewhere, and I'm happy to try to track it down but wish to narrow my search.

So I duely googled for a few hours and I'm aware this could well be either cairo or a font library issue rather than poppler however I'm no wiser and hoped one of you could at least shuffle me in the most likely direction, thanks.