[poppler] API for outline/table of contents modification

rm+popplerlist at arcsin.org rm+popplerlist at arcsin.org
Fri Apr 30 17:39:43 UTC 2021

Hi all,

1. I wanted to add outlines/contents to PDFs using libpoppler.

Looking at the code, it looks like significant changes would be
required.  I expect the API would be something like that of the
annotations but at the PDFDoc object level rather than the Page level.

A utility program could add an outline specified in a file (maybe
json, yaml, or just S-exprs).

Does anyone have thoughts/interest in this?

2. After writing a bit of code to add an outline and save the
resulting PDF, the file had a trailer section which referred to the
new Catalog dictionary as expected.  However, the new Catalog
dictionary had the same object and generation numbers as the old one.
So there were now two 'obj 1 0' in the file; is this expected
behavior?

Seems like the generation number should be incremented so it's
unambiguous.  (The PDF spec seems to indicate the generation number gets
bumped only when an object is freed so I'm unsure).

thanks,
Rob