[Portland] Thoughts on the integration tasks

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Dec 8 22:45:24 EET 2005

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 16:56 schrieb Billy Biggs:

Hi,

> If the intention is that the primary consumer is GTK+/Qt,

Yes, but we also want to offer something to Java and Mono.

> and that a
> goal is compatibility with existing infrastructure (such as XSETTINGS,
> or xdg-mime, or _NET_WM), then I'm all in :)

Of course we don't want to invent new stuff when we can leverage existing and
agreed upon specs.

I don't feel so confident for the XSETTINGS spec because it is not very
powerful and only solves a small number of problems while it introduces yet
another daemon. Daemons are to be avoided because they use permanent system
resources and in the case of XSETTINGS are not doing anything most of the
time.

>   I don't doubt that it's just bugs

Please report them in the respective wm bug repositories.

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/