[Portland] Project Portland, RuDI and the Generic desktop adapter

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Dec 9 03:58:53 EET 2005

Hi Martin,

Martin Konold wrote:

>I currently don't intend to transfer large junks of user data over any RUDI
>IPC mechanism. Instead it shall only transfer references.

I guess you mean by downloading remote files to the /tmp directory.

For such simple tasks i'm sure RUDI is a good solution.

But it has it's limits, which i believe are too low for advanced stuff
like full VFS power. But perhaps the ABI problem is important too, and
cannot be bypassed in a different way. Although just can't believe that
ISV software cannot use shared libraries like any other desktop application.

As a Java developer i'm using Eclipse quite a lot and ldd reports that
it dynamically links 32 libraries, including gtk+, glib etc. And it's a
quite old Eclipse from March 2004. So where is the problem? This ABI
debate is still a bit mystic to me...

Cheers,
Norbert