[Portland] Configuration framework

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Fri Dec 9 17:44:14 EET 2005

Of course it's me who's raising this subject. What did you expect ? :)

I'm not trying to enforce my proposals nor trying to say that something
must or should be used. Just throwing my hat in the circle.

On Tue Dec 6 13:03:44 PST 2005 Banginwar Rajesh wrote that in the topic
of Integration with Desktop, configuration framework is an item.

I've done some work on trying to achieve getting the requirements of
such a configuration framework. I've talked with some of the maintainers
and past builders of our current configuration frameworks. I did try to
listen to everybody (but this ain't always easy, and there's a lot
opinions about this subject).

As a result I've written an compact proposal for both a D-BUS protocol
and a schema for the schemas.

You can find it here:

https://svn.cronos.be/svn/deconf/deconf-spec/trunk/src/deconf-spec.xhtml

There's certainly a lot work to do. Among the to do items is a demo
implementation.

I also started this flame-fest wiki where people had the possibility to
add their desired requirements for such a framework.

http://pvanhoof.be/wiki/index.php/Temporary_location_for_D-Conf_specs

It's contents don't reflect the real requirements. But it might be an
interesting read.

Please don't start new flame wars about this subject (I've had enough of
those already). But feel free to share your professional points and
knowledge.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be