[Portland] In process? Out of process? And more...

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Dec 21 04:41:02 EET 2005

>So would this test suite simply be an application simulator, that would
>run through an installation process and then validate that all the
>various bits got installed to the expected locations and/or configured
>appropriately?
>
>I can definitely imagine how this test suite would be valuable well
>beyond ISVs - distros and even OSS applications would probably be
>interested to use this to measure how conformant various distros are to
>the relevant standards.

Over at LSB we've got some prototype stuff along these general lines...
intended to some day be a "package install tester": have a bunch
of combinations of things which are tested in various install/
uninstall sequences, with validation that stuff got to the
right places, removes cleanly, etc..  Maybe this is the time to
pull it out of mothballs and do a bit more with it (it has
languished due to lack of anybody's time to either work on
or champion it further).

-- mats