[Portland] xdg-util feedback

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 6 15:09:29 EEST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 13:51, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 11:00, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 April 2006 11:10, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > In the event that the current desktop environment isn't detectable what
> > > do you thing of falling back to firefox, mozilla, and then netscape?
> > > This should be able to catch a lot of cases especially on older
> > > systems. This would also work for xdg-open sense netscape has its own
> > > mime system to open files that are not for the web browser.
> >
> > When you write "also work for xdg-open" which other script do you have in
> > mind that could use this as the generic fallback case?
>
> Sorry, the xdg-email script.

Ah, good point. At this stage xdg-email is almost identical to xdg-open
Maybe xdg-email should allow to take arguments in their natural form, convert
them into a mailto URI and then call xdg-open and let it handle the
application decision.

An application that wants to create mailto URIs itself, could always directly
call xdg-open

The main question would then be how difficult it is to encode things properly
within shell script capabilities.

> Yah I guess that because xdg-open doesn't say that it will open the URL in
> the default web browser, simply that it will open it, then it is ok.
> Scratch that comment.

Ok :)

Cheers,
Kevin