[Portland] RE: alternative to X-KDE-SubstituteUID for non KDE
fboudra at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 17:30:53 EEST 2006
After some investigation, i found this thread "Mini-proposal for
Elevated User Privileges in menu-spec":
I asked on the list how to avoid gksu dependency for a KDE apps :
* if i need to provide a specific desktop file for each desktops ?
* Is there a common way to elevate user privilege ?
Waldo Bastian replied :
> The Portland project has proposed a "xdg-su" command that could be used
> to prompt the user for elevated privileges. There seems to be some
> objection to that approach though so it's probably a good idea if you
> subscribe to the portland mailinglist and join the discussion there, in
> particular it would help if you can present actual use cases that
> require this functionality.
i looked at the script, it's a wrapper around gnomesu/kdesu, detecting the
desktop environment (gnome/kde) :
So the main idea is to use xdg-su (depends on a possible xdg-utils package ?)
in the desktop file then recommends kdebase-bin | libgnomesu0 (instead of
recommends kdebase-bin only ATM).
* i skipped xsu and the generic part that doesn't exist on debian.
* xdg-utils is a technology preview and doesn't exist on debian.
* CC'ed to bugs.debian.org to keep track of the discussions ;)
More information about the Portland