[Portland] Re: RELEASED: xdg-utils 1.0 beta2

William Jon McCann mccann at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 2 14:00:18 PDT 2006

Hi Waldo,

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Yippie, Xdg-utils 1.0 beta2 is released!
>
> Head over to
> http://portland.freedesktop.org/download/xdg-utils-1.0beta2.tgz to play
> with this puppie.

I'm happy to see that some of the problems I had with the
xdg-screensaver script [1] have been addressed.  However, some have not.

This iteration of the script has the following:

        suspend)
         # Don't know how to suspend properly
         gnome-screensaver-command --exit > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
         result=0
         ;;

It is unacceptable to cause the screensaver daemon process to exit.  I'm
surprised that you would release a script that does this.

If you are set on using this script based approach,  I think that you
can do something with the gnome-screensaver-command --inhibit option, if
it exists, or else a loop using the --poke option.

To reiterate some of my previous objections:

* The terminology the script uses is faulty.  Inhibit is clearly a
better verb to use for temporarily attempting to restrain screensaver
activation.  Nothing is really "suspended".  It is critical that even
when the screensaver activation is inhibited that the screen be able to
lock.

* You must make a distinction between activation and explicit locking.
For example, you should provide both --lock and --activate options.

* The window-id approach is broken and reveals implementation details.

* It is difficult to promote two standard approaches for screensaver
control.  The reasoning that has been given for why this isn't an issue
is that the scripts are for immediate deployment and the D-Bus API is
for future deployment.  This script won't work at all on any existing
deployment that uses GNOME < 2.14 since it doesn't support xscreensaver.

Jon

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-July/008404.html