[Portland] The Code

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 16 11:49:33 EET 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 10:26, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  I actually already have some minimal experience here, I think I've already
> mentioned http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/download/qtkde/ here (run Qt Designer
> in KDE on SUSE 9.3/10.0 and try e.g. the color dialog). It's Qt<->KDE and
> the transport mechanism is DCOP, but the principle is about the same.

Ah, I will have a lookt at that as well.

>  I'm also not sure about DBus, I don't quite see what it should buy us
> besides the hype (which I admit may be caused by me not knowing much about
> it).

One thing I can think about is activation, i.e. if now desktop has started and
thus claimed the name for the integration daemon, DBus can start the generic
implementation when the first application requests it.

Another thing is, that according to my current information, both KDE and GNOME
will be using DBus as (one of) their internal IPC mechanism, so it will be
installed, well tested and known to developers who might want to work on
service implementations.

Cheers,
Kevin

--