[Portland] The Code

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Feb 16 17:52:19 EET 2006

>Another thing is, that according to my current information, both KDE
and
>GNOME
>will be using DBus as (one of) their internal IPC mechanism, so it will
be
>installed, well tested and known to developers who might want to work
on
>service implementations.

An important thing to keep in mind here is to come up with solutions
that work with Linux distributions as they are deployed today. There
will be cases were that will not be possible, but it should be taken
into account. I'm sure Dbus will be established and well-tested in a
year or so from now, but at the moment it's still a very fluid target
and not available on all distros out there.

It may be feasible to have different short term and long term solutions,
although I'm not sure how that would work out. But it would be
interesting to start with a simple IPC mechanism as used by Lubos and
target a Dbus based solution down the road. For example an OSV (Linux
distributor) could deliver a Dbus based solution as part of the OS,
while an ISV could include an implementation based on simple IPC along
with its application as fallback. I'm very undecided on whether that's a
good approach or a just lot more work for little gain.

Cheers,
Waldo