[Portland] The Code

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Feb 16 20:29:25 EET 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 19:00, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:30:30AM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  They should fail only with the generic implementation, the mailto
> > service probably needs a list of hardcoded apps like the openurl one and
> > I have no idea how to do generic X su. I expect that some of the services
> > will not be implemented as generic and apps will have to fall back to
> > their own code if they detect a failure.
>
> Ah, yes that's probably the case here; I was running just the generic
> implementation.  For the mailto, what if the generic simply invoked
> the 'mail' program in a shell?  It'd be ugly but functional.  I don't
> know if anyone would use it like that, but it'd serve as a way to
> illustrate what the non-generic versions should do, and maybe provide a
> simple test case for the core code.

 It's marked as TODO there, and the KDE implementation is enough to show it
works :). I'm not sure what a final generic implementation of things like
mailto should do - having it to always do at least something, even if as ugly
as running "mail" in a shell, would make the application side easier, but
then maybe some things should be rather expected to fail. With the current
situation of every app rolling their own solution it shouldn't be that big
problem for these apps to fall back on something they consider generic. Maybe
the generic solution should be considered kind of a desktop too, with perhaps
its own configuration tool for things like this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org