[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

Diego Calleja diegocg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:33:02 EET 2006

El Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:06:58 +0100,
nf2 <nf2 at scheinwelt.at> escribió:

> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-vfs-list/2004-December/msg00061.html

Indeed, current Unix systems don't have a way to say "wrong password". Now
the question is: if the userspace filesystem implementation is supposed
to be (unlike it happens in common-vfs and dvfs) "transparent" should they
_care_ at all? I still think that the whole point of userspace filesystems
should be being transparent. That includes apps not being aware _at_all_ of
what is going on.

(And notice that I don't think there's a reason why we can't add return
codes to things like open() - SUS certainly defines error codes like
ECONNABORTED altough they don't define it for open() but for network
operations, but that's another issue)

...and this doesn't benefits common-vfs task, since it means that apps
not suited to network protocols will have to be redesigned to be aware
of that, making the port of common-vfs even _harder_ than it already is
(you'll need to patch every single unix command, if upstream doesn't
accepts or doesn't likes common-vfs because they prefer FUSE you'll
have to maintain it separately which will be a distro mainteinance hell)