[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

Diego Calleja diegocg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 15:21:16 EET 2006

El Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:49:47 +0100,
Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> escribió:

> Fuse runs in userland. So there are extra context switches.

Other userspace solutions require context switches aswell..

> 2. FUSE often needs a recompile if the kernel is updated

Unless the API is changed, I don't see here is the problem.
Common-vfs needs a recompile if it's updated and needs porting
if the API changes. Every line of code of any software project
suferrs from the same problem in fact. I don't get your point.

> 3. FUSE is not generic enough for an efficient implementation of stuff like
> imap4, pop3 and SMTP.

What's exactly the problem with implementing a pop3 as a filesystem with FUSE
just like the plan 9 guys did?

(plan 9 also allows userspace filesystems by the way, in this discussion
only FUSE has been named, but there's a 9P implementation in the current
linux tree which is an alternative to FUSE I think)