[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Tue Jan 10 13:32:10 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 10:05 +0100, nf2 wrote:

> The only problem about KIO is that it has not been designed as common
> infrastructure (in a toolkit and desktop independent way).
>
> Do you think it would make sense to rewrite KIO in C and to wrap a
> synchronous and async API around the slave protocol (that it can serve
> both the KIO::Jobs and the Gnome-VFS API.

Rather than letting it serve Gnome-VFS, I think it would be better to
have a KIO that doesn't depend on the entire Qt toolkit, and have
Glib-style wrapper bindings for it.

I'm not sure that Gnome-VFS and KIO have enough in common to let them
reuse each other.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be