[Portland] KIO and GnomeVFS integration with Linux-FUSE

Vlad vladc6 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 19:37:44 PDT 2006

--- Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Vlad <vladc6 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest using the Linux Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE)
> > framework to give ISV, desktop-agnostic, legacy, and shell
> > applications access to filesystems set up by KDE KIO and
> Gnome-VFS.
>
> This was discussed seven months ago on this list; see the thread

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-January/000088.html

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-January/000094.html

Thanks for pointing this out, I wasn't aware of the previous
discussion.

Robert Love from Novell made a nice presentation for this year's
GUADEC conference about the advantages that FUSE provides:

http://rlove.org/talks/guadec_rlove_fuse_2006.odp

Robert mentions in his blog ( http://rlove.org/log/2006070601 ) that
FUSE needs a stream library. KIO-FUSE already has seek() capability,
but it's not implemented very efficently since ioslaves in KDE 3 don't
have seek(). To fix this, Allan Sandfeld Jensen (carewolf) is
currently adding seek() support in KIO slaves and optimizing the
interface:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2041

The KIO development branch can be found at:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kio_virtualfile/

You can keep track of changes to this branch as they occur at:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&w=2&r=1&s=kio_virtualfile&q=b

--Vlad