[Portland] xdg_vfs_gnome command line client

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 1 04:52:13 PDT 2006

On Thursday 01 June 2006 13:24, nf2 wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I would like to ask Norbert if he could check the possibility of
> > contributing a GNOME implementation of the DAPI daemon side and maybe put
> > the commandline client somewhere GNOME distributors are known to look for
> > addons. The KDE client could go into KDE extragear.
>
> Hmm. Maybe later this year. Haven't got lots of time at the moment.

No problem, just  a suggestion on making GNOME available for integration
testing as well.

> Also
> i have the impression that there are some open questions regarding dapi:
> Will it move to dbus and how? Will it use dbus through the dbus-daemon -
> which would make streaming file-data quite hard - or will there be an
> extra socket using the dbus protocol (point to point)...

IMHO normal communiction should go through the session bus, heavy data traffic
through a separate socket. Quite similar to FTP, one connection for
signalling, one for data.
Takes away the need to implement any kind of protocol for the data connection.

> That's why i wrote the xdg-vfs tools, which probably cover 90% of the
> use-cases with minimal complexity and fit into the xdg-utils concept.

I like the concept, though I think the shell mode or tagged mode are asking
for difficulties when control data and payload data are mixed.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>