[Portland] command line interface inconsistancies

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Mon Jun 5 23:24:04 PDT 2006

I think the use case for xdg-copy is rather limited compared to cp. I
don't think it has been given too much thought so far but I think it
should be used for accessing a single URI as passed to the application
by the desktop environment via either cut&paste or drag&drop. After all
the goal of xdg-utils is desktop integration. If you want to copy files
you can use cp already, and likewise, if you want to access websites you
can use wget already. Xdg-copy shouldn't target the usage models that
these tools already fulfil.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman

The