[Portland] Re: [Fwd: Re: Mime-typ Scribus?]

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 17 16:40:44 PDT 2006

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 16 June 2006 06:04, Mike Hearn wrote:
>> This wasn't written by me but apparently it works:
>>
>> http://cvs.sunsite.dk/viewcvs.cgi/autopackage/main/share/apkg-mimetype.xsl?
>> rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>>
>> Bear in mind they aren't an exact match. You have to specify an icon
>> name in the freedesktop.org XML file in a separate namespace --
>> linking icons to mime types has never actually been specced out!
>
> The recent concensus is to use <major>-<minor>.png as icon for mimeypes.
>
> See the bottom of
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo_2dspec

Yes, this is what I had understood except that currently GNOME is using:

	gnome-mime-<major>-<minor>

which generalizes as:

so I used for the KDE scribus icon:

	kde-mime-application-x-scribus

Clearly, we should drop the 'desktop' prefix and the 'mime' is now
redundant since the MIME type icons will be in the subdirectory
"mimetypes".  So (dropping these), a script to create the KDE MIME type
'desktop' files is going to use:

	application-x-scribus

which is not what KDE uses for a MIME icon name.  So, we are going to
need some way to assign the icon name.  The script could search for an
icon using the GNOME method (e.g. *-mime-<major>-<minor>) and use it if
found.  But to use KDE icons we are going to need a database file (a
simple text file that can be greped would work).

And, we are back to the problem with icons from different DeskTops
colliding -- overwriting each other if they are the same icon theme
(which we hope would only matter with HiColor).

--
JRT