[Portland] Re: Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, &menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 30 12:24:48 PDT 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Where we disagree is that I say that it doesn't matter where the
> application installs the versions that it ships and it is undesirable to
> impose a location on the application without an actual need for it
> because it introduces a certain amount of cumbersomeness. We pay that
> price in the case of app icons, MIME types and .desktop files because we
> have no choice there.

I proceed on the valid theory that the lack of standards also imposes a
price on third party applications.  Such applications have to install
their icons somewhere.  In some cases they must install them in multiple
locations to try to comply with the methods of multiple
DeskTops/ToolKits.  Having a standard location would not impose any
price on third party applications but rather it would provide them with
a benefit.

If a third party application is going to access services through
Portland, it should be obvious that cross DeskTop standards are going to
be needed for everything that Portland is going to provide such services
for.

--
JRT